Saturday, June 25, 2011

I Got Rolfed!

I had known of Rolfing for the longest time. I am not even sure when it first entered my consciousness. Maybe the fact that Dr. Ida Rolf was German and so am I? Something of a field energy thing?

As a MELT Instructor, I have much more in-depth interest in fascia and studied Thomas Myers (a Rolfer) book ‘Anatomy Trains’; it seemed only a matter of time when I’d take the plunge and try it out. I had heard people say that it usually involved a great deal of pain but I was willing to endure it in the interest of furthering my education.

Today was the day. I met Jason and saw immediately that he clearly had a physique capable of inflicting pain. He looked at my health history, did an assessment, and then the Rolfing session was about to begin.

Well, what can I say: I felt great when it was done, and I also enjoyed the process. Painful? Absolutely not. Jason explained to me that Rolfing has evolved over the years. Yes, there are still practitioners that practice a ‘harder’ style of Rolfing but Jason was not one of them.

The techniques are clearly different from massage, and I could feel how he lengthened connective tissue. I felt that my body was better aligned when I left. I also discovered some imbalances that I had not been aware of and am eager to get on my MELT roller to see whether I can make improvements using the techniques I am using.

And I am looking forward to my next appointment.

If you want to find out more (and better) information about Rolfing, here is the link to Jason's web site: http://raleighrolfing.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment