Friday, January 16, 2015

Drawn to it

I am once more moving away from my fitness field to talk about art which to me is therapeutic and stress-relieving (well, maybe I am talking about wellness after all …..)

I bought a beautiful piece of artwork called ‘Odette in a Dogwood Forest’ by Jaimon Caceres which unites in one piece my love of painting and my love of ballet. It is in a place where I see it often in the course of the day, and every time I pass by it makes me smile and feel happy.

It makes me wonder how colors on paper can have that effect. I am reminded of Magritte’s famous painting “Ceci n’est pas une pipe” (this is not a pipe) under the drawing of a pipe. It’s our brain that creates the narrative and fills in the blanks. It’s my brain that places me in a forest where I see an ethereal figure dancing, unaware of being observed. It is also my brain that marvels at the balance of the picture where everything is just in the perfect place. As I stand and look at it, I am receiving the gift of being in the moment. Whenever I look at the drawing, I forget, for that little space of time, what was and what will be.


And then I continue my day – smiling J

No comments:

Post a Comment