Thursday, December 26, 2013

Resolutely Making Resolutions

It’s that time of the year again when the question arises whether or not to make New Year’s resolutions. I always do (and I won’t tell you what they are), and some I manage to keep, and others may need to be transferred to this year’s list.

To me, a new year always feels like a new notebook. The first page so pristine, the entire book not yet marked with stains. My best hand-writing was on that first page, and it (pretty much) stayed that way until I made the first mistake. After that, all bets were off, and I continued writing in my (now) old notebook until it was time to get a new one, and the process started all over again.

And this is what happens with resolutions all too often. We are able to stick with them pretty well until we mess up. Rather than acknowledging the lapse, we throw our hands up in the air, give up, and never get back on track.

Changing behaviors in particular is very difficult. But we will never get really good at it unless we continue to practice, practice, practice. There are tons of self-help books out there trying to assist with behavior change. They all work – of we use the advice in them and do what they suggest. Whether is it about losing weight, stopping smoking, starting an exercise program or any other thing that requires us to do things differently from the way we have grown accustomed to.

Some may say that they don’t even bother to make resolutions. That’s okay.


I do. I like to reflect on myself and my outlook on life. The more quiet time during the holidays gives me a great opportunity to do that. Then I make my list and put it in a place where I see it often.  And now it’s time to open the new page.

No comments:

Post a Comment